- 1 Why is it illegal to say Arkansas wrong?
- 2 Is it against the law to pronounce Arkansas wrong?
- 3 Can you legally beat your wife in Arkansas?
- 4 What are weird laws in Arkansas?
- 5 What crazy laws are still on the books?
- 6 Why is Arkansas pronounced wrong?
- 7 What are some of the dumbest laws in the United States?
- 8 What is the nickname of Arkansas?
- 9 What are people from Arkansas called?
- 10 Is it illegal to sleep in your car in Arkansas?
- 11 Is it illegal to honk your horn in Arkansas?
- 12 What type of food is Arkansas famous for?
Why is it illegal to say Arkansas wrong?
This law regulates how to say the name Arkansas. It’s a great law. It basically says that a person must pronounce the name of the state in a specific way. The pronunciation is not up for discussion, it’s not based on whether you’re from New England or the Midwest, or your mood that day, it’s regulated by law.
Is it against the law to pronounce Arkansas wrong?
Since the last six letters of each are identical, why isn’t ArKansas pronounced ar-cans-us? Well, Susy, the short answer is it’s the law that Arkansas is pronounced ar-can-saw. Seriously. There’s a state law designating the official pronunciation of the state’s name, but more on that later.
Can you legally beat your wife in Arkansas?
Arkansas. Men can beat their wives, but only once per month in Arkansas.
What are weird laws in Arkansas?
Weird Laws in Arkansas: Walk Your Cow Before Lunch!
- Did you think you could walk your cow in Little Rock any old time you want? Think again.
- Don’t slap that mosquito in Fayetteville.
- If you ask me on a date, for goodness’ sake do it inside.
- Short-haired teachers need not apply.
- Can a river go to jail?
What crazy laws are still on the books?
46 Weird Laws Still on the Books
- Vermont banned banning clotheslines.
- You can’t throw rocks at trains in Wisconsin.
- You can’t make fake drugs in Arizona.
- Blasphemy is still illegal in Michigan.
- Dogs can’t hunt big game mammals in California.
- Don’t bite while boxing in Utah.
Why is Arkansas pronounced wrong?
Arkansas was named for the French plural of a Native American tribe, while Kansas is the English spelling of a similar one. Since the letter “s” at the end of French words is usually silent, we pronounce Bill Clinton’s home state “Arkansaw.” The French, however, left their mark on Arkansas’ pronunciation.
What are some of the dumbest laws in the United States?
50 Dumbest Laws In The US
- A door on a car may not be left open longer than is necessary.
- Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
- It is illegal to drive a camel on the highway.
What is the nickname of Arkansas?
The word “ Arkansas” came from the Quapaw Indians, by way of early French explorers. At the time of the early French exploration, a tribe of Indians, the Quapaws, lived West of the Mississippi and north of the Arkansas River. The Algonkian-speaking Indians of the Ohio Valley called them the Arkansas, or “south wind”.
What are people from Arkansas called?
People who live in Arkansas are called Arkansans and Arkansawyers.
Is it illegal to sleep in your car in Arkansas?
Yes. There are no rules or laws against sleeping in your vehicle while at an Arkansas rest area. And because there is no maximum time limit, that would also include overnight sleeping.
Is it illegal to honk your horn in Arkansas?
5. It’s illegal in Arkansas to honk your horn at a sandwich shop after 9 pm. This is likely because most of them are closed at this point; you’d be disturbing the peace, and you still wouldn’t get a sandwich. It is illegal to kill “any living creature” in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
What type of food is Arkansas famous for?
Finally, Arkansas’ cuisine is integral to its culture with such foods as barbecue, traditional country cooking, fried catfish and chicken, wild duck, rice, purple hull peas, okra, apples, fried green tomatoes and grits being part of the people of Arkansas’s diet and economy.