- 1 What is Hays Kansas famous for?
- 2 What is there to do in Hays Kansas today?
- 3 What happened at Fort Hays?
- 4 Are there tornadoes in Hays Kansas?
- 5 How Safe Is Hays Kansas?
- 6 What stores are in the mall in Hays KS?
- 7 What is there to do in WaKeeney Kansas?
- 8 Why did they build Fort Hays?
- 9 What was wrong with Major Fambrough?
- 10 How much is Fort Hays tuition?
What is Hays Kansas famous for?
Today, as a center for education, business and culture for western Kansas, Hays is called home to about 20,000 people, and continues to display its rich history at not only Historic Fort Hays, but also at the Ellis County Historical Museum, Sternberg Museum of Natural History and the Boot Hill Cemetery.
What is there to do in Hays Kansas today?
9 Best Things to Do in Hays, Kansas
- Fort Hays State Historic Site, Hays, KS. © Fort Hays State Historic Site.
- Ellis County Historical Society Museum.
- Merci Boxcar, Hays, Kansas.
- Northglen Antiques, Hays, Kansas.
- Thirstys Brew Pub & Grill, Hays, Kansas.
- Hickok’s Steakhouse, Hays, Kansas.
- Professor’s, Hays, Kansas.
What happened at Fort Hays?
In the spring of 1867 a flood nearly wiped out Fort Hays killing nine soldiers and civilians. After 25 years of service, Fort Hays was abandoned on November 8, 1889. Today four original buildings survive: the blockhouse (completed as the post headquarters in 1867), guardhouse, and two officers’ quarters.
Are there tornadoes in Hays Kansas?
The risk of tornado damage in Hays is higher than Kansas average and is much higher than the national average.
How Safe Is Hays Kansas?
The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Hays is 1 in 46. Based on FBI crime data, Hays is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Kansas, Hays has a crime rate that is higher than 82% of the state’s cities and towns of all sizes.
What stores are in the mall in Hays KS?
Store list – Stores in Big Creek Crossing
- AMC Hays 8.
- Bath & Body Works.
- Christopher & Banks.
- Famous Footwear.
- Foxy Nails.
What is there to do in WaKeeney Kansas?
Today WaKeeney is a rural community in Northwest Kansas. Come experience one of our many attractions, such as:
- Smoky Valley Scenic Byway.
- Cedar Bluff State Park, Reservoir, & Wildlife Area.
- Kansas Veterans’ Cemetery at WaKeeney.
- Shiloh Vineyard & Winery.
- Christmas City of the High Plains.
Why did they build Fort Hays?
This time, the purpose of the fort was to protect workers building the Union Pacific Eastern Division railway westward, parallel to the Smoky Hill Trail. The Army planned to use Fort Hays as a supply depot for other posts in the region and thus needed it to be located close to the railway.
What was wrong with Major Fambrough?
Fambrough’s differential diagnosis is extensive and could include a benignly enlarged or inflamed prostate or a bladder, spinal cord or prostate tumor that had infiltrated critical nerves that control urination. He was able to stand up and walk to the window, somewhat ruling out a major spinal cord lesion.
How much is Fort Hays tuition?
Local tuition 5,280 USD, Domestic tuition 15,360 USD (2019 – 20)