Piper School District’s Board of Education met Monday evening, Feb. 11. From a policy standpoint, the highlights of their agenda were:
- A report on Gov. Sam Brownback’s proposed education funding;
- A legislative update;
- A separate report on “LEGISLATIVE ISSUES THAT CAN IMPACT EDUCATION“;
- A report on the district’s Annual Measurable Objectives (AMO), the measure that has replaced the No Child Left Behind Act’s Annual Yearly Progress (AYP) now that the state has received a federal flexibility waiver;
- Discussion of alternative funding sources that could help restore ten assistant coaching positions lost during the Great Recession of 2009;
- Considered refinancing existing school bond debt to save money for the district.
Read our Twitter feed for more education news from local, regional and national sources:http://twitter.com/#!/JW_Martinez
Or you can sign up for a free subscription to the daily KC Education Enterprise roundup of local, state and national education news on paper.li: http://paper.li/JW_Martinez/1322883462
The KC Education Enterprise has a new sister site, KC Education Research Updates, with occasional news from researchers and neuroscientists of interest to educators.