The Missouri State Board of Education and five local school boards met during the fifth week of November.
- Reviewed proposed platform for 2013 session of the state legislature.
- Unanimously voted to approve a report on the district’s annual fiscal audit.
- Considered re-adopting a district policy governing the “School Board Legal Status.”
State Board of Education
- Unanimously elected Stan Archie president and Peter Herschend vice president of the board for the coming year. Herschend is from Branson and Stan Archie is from the Kansas City metropolitan area. According to the board web site, “Rev. Stan Archie, Kansas City, was appointed to the State Board in December 2006. He is senior pastor of the Christian Fellowship Baptist Church. He serves as board chairman of the Kansas City Leadership Foundation and owner and principal consultant with Successful Edge Consultants. Archie earned a degree in divinity and organizational leadership at Calvary Bible College and a master’s degree in education at MidAmerica Nazarene University.”
- Received an a report on turnaround efforts for recipients of federal School Improvement Grants. According to the U.S. Department of Education website, districts receiving such grants “demonstrate the greatest need for the funds and the strongest commitment to use the funds to provide adequate resources in order to raise substantially the achievement of students in their lowest-performing schools.”
- Received an annual report on the performance of educator preparation programs in the state.
- Received an update on the efforts to develop an assessment for candidates training for careers in education.
- Unanimously voted to revise rules governing “Basic Educator Competencies Required Prior to Admission to Approved Teacher Education Programs in Missouri.
- Unanimously voted to adopt rules governing “Procedures and Standards for Approval and Accreditation of Professional Education Programs in Missouri.”
- Unanimously voted to adopt rules governing “Standards for Charter Sponsorship”
- Unanimously voted to amend rules governing “Missouri State Plan for Part B, Regulations Implementing the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).”
- Unanimously voted to adopt rules governing “General Provisions Governing Programs Authorized Under the Early Childhood Development Education and Care.”
- Voted unanimously to approve leasing Moore School to W.E.B. DuBois Learning Center, Inc.
North Kansas City
- Unanimously approved a proposed platform for the 2013 session of the state legislature.
- Unanimously voted to accept the annual fiscal audit report.
- Received a report on the district’s compliance with the new Missouri School Improvement Program (MSIP) 5 scoring guide.
- Heard a report on sequestration and considered the National School Boards Association Sample Resolution for School Boards Regarding Sequestration.
- Heard a report from Superintendent Jeff Kyle including information on grading policies (such as grading on the curve) that do not accurately reflect student academic effort.
Read our Twitter feed for more education news from local, regional and national sources: http://twitter.com/#!/JW_Martinez
Or you can subscribe to the daily KC Education Enterprise roundup of local, state and national education news on paper.li: http://paper.li/JW_Martinez/1322883462