Three local school boards met during the fourth week of November.
- Routine responsibilities of governance.
- Announced that candidates may file to run for election to the school board starting Tuesday, Dec. 18, and ending Tuesday, Jan. 15.
- Heard a report about the new national Common Core Standards, which Missouri has adopted and are being phased in this year in the Center School District. The report focused on ways the new standards are expected to change classroom instruction.
- Considered revising a list of district policies as advised by the Missouri School Boards Association. Topics of policies being revised include “Prohibition Against Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation,” “Support Staff Leaves and Absences” and “Student Retention.”
- Considered revising the district’s “Early Separation Incentive Policy” and the “Early Separation Incentive Plan.”
- Voted unanimously to accept the district’s annual financial audit report.
- Reviewed suggestions for re-naming two district schools. According to the agenda:
The committee reviewed name submissions and were able create consensus on the name recommendations. The names below are submitted for board review.
Liberty Junior High-
1st choice – Heritage Middle School
2nd choice- North Ridge Middle School
South Valley Junior High-
1st choice- Westview Middle School
2nd choice- Rush Creek Middle School
Read our Twitter feed for more education news from local, regional and national sources: http://twitter.com/#!/JW_Martinez
Or you can subscribe to the daily KC Education Enterprise roundup of local, state and national education news on paper.li: http://paper.li/JW_Martinez/1322883462