The filing deadline is Tuesday, Jan. 17, and the election will take place Tuesday, April 3, 2012.
School board members are citizens who volunteer without pay to determine the policies the superintendent uses to administer the district. The superintendent works for them, and they are responsible for tasks such as long-range planning, establishing the salaries and benefits of certified teachers, approving the annual budget and calling elections for tax levies and bond proposals.
Names will appear on the ballot in random order.
Open Positions: Two three-year terms.
Where to File: Superintendent’s Office; 7703 N.W. Barry Road; Kansas City, MO 64153.
Any interested candidates may apply starting between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 20. After the 20th, candidates may file between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on days when school is in session.
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must be a resident taxpayer of the district
- Must be at least twenty-four years old
- Must have been a Missouri resident for one year preceding election or appointment
- Must not be a district employee
- Must have a genuine interest in and devotion to public education, a willingness to give time and effort to the work, a capacity for understanding people, and the ability to work cooperatively with others.
District Policy Regarding School Board Elections: http://tinyurl.com/7hwjxp4
Missouri Revised Statutes, Chapter 115, Election Authorities and Conduct of Elections: Section 115.127
For more information: Call Della Wooddell, board secretary, at (816) 359-4050.
Read our Twitter feed for more education news from local, regional and national sources:http://twitter.com/#!/JW_Martinez
Or you can sign up for a free subscription to the daily KC Education Enterprise roundup of local, state and national education news on paper.li: http://paper.li/JW_Martinez/1322883462