If you have ever considered vying for an elected position on your local school board, now is the time to file.
Filing starts in December for school board seats in districts on the Missouri side of the state line in the metropolitan area. The filing deadline is Tuesday, Jan. 17, and elections will take place Tuesday, April 3, 2012. (In Kansas, school board elections take place only in odd-numbered years.)
The Missouri School Boards’ Association (MSBA) has information available online for those filing or considering filing.
School board members are citizens who volunteer without pay to determine the policies the superintendent uses to administer the district. The superintendent works for them, and they are responsible for tasks such as long-range planning, establishing the salaries and benefits of certified teachers, approving the annual budget and calling elections for tax levies and bond proposals.
Missouri statute requires that school board members:
- Must be citizens of the United States
- Must be residents taxpayers of the district where they serve
- Must be at least twenty-four years old
- Must have been Missouri residents for one year preceding election or appointment.
In addition, of course, districts prefer that school board members be interested in public education and the welfare of students.
For more information on the election process in your local district, click on one of the following links:
- Belton School District #124
- Center School District
- Excelsior Springs School District
- Fort Osage R-1 School District
- Grandview C-4 School District
- Hickman Mills C-1 School District
- Independence School District
- Kansas City Public Schools
- Lee’s Summit School District
- Liberty Public School District
- North Kansas City Schools
- Park Hill School District
- Platte County R-3 School District
- Raymore-Peculiar School District
- Raytown Quality Schools
Missouri Revised Statutes, Chapter 115, Election Authorities and Conduct of Elections: Section 115.127
Read our Twitter feed for more education news from local, regional and national sources:http://twitter.com/#!/JW_Martinez
Or you can sign up for a free subscription to the daily KC Education Enterprise roundup of local, state and national education news on paper.li: http://paper.li/JW_Martinez/1322883462